Monday, October 12, 2015

Oklahoma the Beautiful


This is a piece I gave away in a charity auction show for my old employer. This is the only painting of mine I don't physically have in my possession, and I gotta say looking at the image makes me miss it. At least I gave it away for a good cause. The cause was for women's education in third-world countries. The only piece I don't have, and I didn't sell it. I think it sold for $350, or something like that. Not bad I guess. I still miss it, and I hope it's in good hands.


Not only have I been obsessed with Oklahoma sunflowers, but I've been fascinated by the landscape in general. I painted "Oklahoma" in 2011. I wanted to capture its barrenness against the great vast sky. The old farmhouse is from the corner of Piedmont Rd. and Northwest Expressway. A couple of years ago, a large modern looking barn was built next to it. I think it may be an event center or tourist attraction of some sort, but I'm thankful I painted the lone farmhouse and windmill before it was built. I'm very drawn to the image for some reason. Perhaps its because the building sits perfectly atop the small hill, and the roundness of the sky perfectly encapsulates it. Maybe for an unknown, psychic reason. Whatever the case, the old barn house has my heart.
Evidently a lot of people like it other than me. This image has gotten the most likes on my portfolio online, and other artists have pointed out to me in praise. I'm happy for it, but I was also a bit surprised. I think the style is too rigid, in my opinion. I love the sky and building, but the foreground is quite still. It does capture an energy, though. The still barren land amidst the stormy sky.
 I used to say I'd paint another of these to regain the one I gave away. That was four years ago. No better time than now to get things done. The part of me that thinks about what I'm going to do is gone. I try to only act in the present moment.


No comments:

Post a Comment