Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Very Nearly Done!


So, this is where three hours of work got me yesterday. 



I'm really liking posting my progress on this painting, because it really emphasizes what I need to work on. This post is entitled Very Nearly Done, because I'd like the sunflowers in the foreground to pop out a little bit more. The paint is soaking wet, and I can't define the front flowers like this. I must have at least five layers on this baby, plus super thick globs. So, I don't expect this to be fully dry for at least three-weeks. 
Oh, the joys of working with oil. I love it: along with its vibrancy, smoothness, and class, but the higher volume of work I'd like to put out is making me think about using acrylic. So much duller looking, but I have heard of a technique where oil paint is glazed or highlighted over the top of an acrylic work. This would address the drying problems of oil, and ensure a rich outcome. Something tells me the so-called technique may be too good to be true, though. I'll have to look into it.
For our purposes here, we can say this painting is done. The work I need to finish is minimal, and Mr. Clark will be happy I move on to more postings without waiting for this to dry. I can't decide, if I want more shadows in the clouds. I may add more. In a way I like the flatness of the clouds, because it contrasts the flowers. Maybe just a little bit of shadow! I'm really trying to move away from severe realism, but I want to say I can add a bit more to the clouds.
I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment